September 10th, 1974, Guinea-Bissau, a small country in Western Africa, achieves its independence. Hundreds of European volunteers move to the country, chasing their dreams of a better world. Those were years of enthusiasm and idealism, when the building of a socially just nation in Africa was a dream within reach.
Time passed and those dreams were hit by the reality of political instability and turmoil. Most of the volunteers returned home, but the bittersweet memories of their lost paradise remain as vivid as the day they left.
The Vanished Dream is a story about a time when changing Africa and the world seemed possible.
DIRECTOR: Juan S. Betancor, SCRIPTWRITER: Victor Giner, PRODUCERS: Juan S. Betancor, Victor Giner, ASSOCIATE PRODUCER: Molenwiek Films, DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY: Dirk Royaards, ORIGINAL MUSIC: Héctor González Sánchez, EDITOR: Juan S. Betancor, COLORIST: Paula Ruiz, GRAPHIC DESIGNER: Irene Moreno, VISUAL EFFECTS: Isla Magnética, SOUND SUPERVISING: Juan Manuel Benavides, ARCHIVE RESEARCHER: Victoria de la Hoz, SERBIAN TRANSLATION: Barbara Dokic, LOCATION SERVICES GUINEA-BISSAU: Soluções, PRODUCTION ASSISTANTS: Braima Mané, Verónica Cano, Lucia di Troia
YEAR: 2016, RUNTIME: 76 min. 47 sec., COLOR and B&W, SOUND MIX: Stereo, 5.1, ASPECT RATIO: 16:9, SHOOTING FORMAT: DIGITAL CINEMA HD, EXHIBITION FORMAT: DIGITAL CINEMA DCP, APPLE PRORES 4:2:2 HQ, BLU-RAY, DVD, COUNTRY OF PRODUCTION: Spain, LANGUAGES: English, Portuguese, Serbian, Crioulo, SUBTITLES: English, Spanish, French, FILMING LOCATIONS: Guinea-Bissau, The Netherlands, Serbia, Sweden, United Kingdom
SALES AGENT / DISTRIBUTION
FESTIVALS AND AWARDS
- Best Documentary Feature Award, The African Film Festival of Dallas, Dallas, USA, 2016
- Best Sound Award, Wales International Film Festival, Blackwood, UK, 2016
- Richard Leacock Award, Las Palmas International Film Festival, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain, 2017
- Official Selection, Muestra Internacional de Documentales de Bogotá (MIDBO), Bogotá, Colombia, 2016
- Official Selection, Arusha African Film Festival, St. John´s, Antigua and Barbuda, 2016
- Official Selection, Peloponnisos International Doc Film Festival, Kalamata, Greece, 2017
- Official Selection, Miradas Doc, Guia de Isora, Tenerife, Spain, 2017